Sunday, January 6, 2013

This One Goes Out to Leah C. Peterson

[newsflash: I leave tomorrow to study abroad in Spain for the semester]

I'm sitting on the floor of my bedroom, thinking through the packing lists to see if I covered it all.  At this point, it's either in the bag or there is no room for it anyway, so what does it matter?  So I start thinking about the things I am most excited about for this semester, the goals I have set for myself, the destinations and adventures that the next four months might possibly hold, and the things that I'm really going to miss.

One major thing on that list of things I'll miss are my weekly breakfast dates with Leah. So, to avoid titling this post with something cheesy like I normally do ("aaaand we're off," or "hasta luego"....) I decided that this one indeed goes out to Leah C Peterson. Fitting, considering that her New Year's resolution is to read my blog. Cheers, Leah; tell Barbecue House that we'll be back in August!

Speaking of food....back to the many positives that lie ahead! I look forward to experiencing the culture in it all of it's fullness. Spain will be "home" for four months, and to reap the most benefits from this season, I will be fully immersed in the culture- food, drink, dancing, language, business, religion, and relationships- I long to experience it all.

I am so, so thankful that the Lord has blessed me with this opportunity to study abroad. This semester certainly is a gift. And while yes, the above paragraph is true, the Lord has blessed me with the chance to go, and in turn I commit the journey to my all-powerful Provider and Creator- I'm giving it back to him. Surely this will only bring on even more adventure!  I am thankful for a chance to unplug and experience life at a more relaxed speed. I am thankful that my parents are supporting me every step of the way. And I am thankful that I don't have to be anxious about anything in Him!

Christmas break could not have been a more perfect send-off for the journey. I had the chance to reconnect with missionary friends who were home for the holidays, take a quick trip with Mom and have quality time with her while visiting friends, go camping with a few of my closest friends from Fort Walton, and attend Passion conference in Atlanta. Wow! And then the past three days have been full of sweet time with loved ones and long chats with those who are out of town? Thank you Jesus for filling me with JOY! Shout-out to all of my family and friends who love me so well and fill my heart with laughter!

I hope that you and your families have enjoyed the Christmas season and the kick-off of 2013. May this be a year where you commit to "that one thing" in your life, and may you live like Nehemiah, who proclaimed, "I am doing a great work, and I cannot come down."

As for me, my great work will be primarily learning Spanish!  I look forward to seeing God as the God of every nation, tribe, and tongue. Other than that, I have zero expectations.  It's bound to be an adventure, and it starts in just a few hours!  I fly out of Pensacola around 11 tomorrow morning, to arrive in Spain on Tuesday morning. I will be living with a host family and one roommate from Auburn in Alcala de Henares, Spain (just north of Madrid) and studying at the Instituto Franklin de la Universidad de Alcala. Classes start on January 14th are Monday-Thursday.  I have never been to Europe before, and I plan on traveling as much as possible- both within and outside of Spain!  This is not a private blog, so I am not posting my mailing address, but email me if you would like that contact information. I will be sure to update this blog with pictures and stories so that you can follow the trip, if interested. Beware of the occasional post written in Spanish!

Tonight I learned that I am terrible with goodbyes; but sometimes that's okay because it's really just a "see you later!"  That's all I've got for today, but that's quite the mouthful considering I haven't even left yet. Looking forward to the journey,
Emily Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment