Friday, May 22, 2015

Things to Keep

State test results are in (and I've officially become a free woman and math teacher blogger)! What an experience, sharing my students' results with them. For those who passed, most are shocked to hear the news and ask me if they can text their mom. For those who didn't, it's a humbling moment. I have the opportunity to love on them, to share how close they were, and to remind them that they are worth so much more than a state test could ever measure. We have just 4 more days of school left, after today, and it's a sweet time getting to love on this bath of students for the

It's the end of my first year of teaching?!? One moment, I think, "how did this happen?" and the next, "finally!" I'm a roller-coaster of emotions right now and I couldn't be more proud of my students. They learned about Algebraic Functions, Relations, and Equations; more importantly, they learned about perseverance, hard work, dedication, and the value of teamwork. I am blessed to say that my students are the future of this Roma community and I learn new things from them every day.

Thus, I'm taking advice from my students today on things I should "Keep, Change, Start, Stop" for next year. There are some pretty silly responses, and some very insightful ones; all are valuable and informative for both my heart and my practice. I'm going to share them on the blog, one post at a time, for all my other teachers out there. (By the way, I totally stole this idea and the PDF from an amazing High School Math teacher that I follow via http://mathequalslove.blogspot.com/. Check out her work. She's a rock star)  First,

Things to Keep:


  • encouraging us
  • having fun activities 
  • spreading positivity and teaching the way you've been doing
  • being yourself
  • teaching math
  • your last name
  • pushing us to be better
  • giving us inspirational quotes
  • letting us charge our phones
  • giving homework on Monday
  • being who you are, because you're a good teacher
  • your humor
  • keep our assignments as memories
  • keep doing what ever you want to do!
  • bringing students to the SmartBoard to work
  • the fun 
  • kids in your class
  • giving out passes
  • playing cards
  • your lecturing
  • having the same energy you have
  • showing videos that motivate you
  • the smile on your face
  • doing what you're doing
  • calm and carry on
  • the work; don't change it
  • making learning fun 
  • being awesome
  • talking with your students
  • giving us free time when we earn it
  • being the best teacher <3
  • staying awesome. 
Yep, I love them. Cue tears. 

1 comment: